Sunday, July 3, 2011

Baking with Dorie: Strawberry Cobbler!


It just feels soooo good writing this BWD post. It's been a looong time since I baked with my fellow BWDers. I am guilty of four bakes in a row of no-show!! (cringe)

Well, I'm here now and this has been something that I had looked forward to!




The recipe is originally for cherry and rhubarb but I substituted them with strawberries - I don't like cherries (thank God as they are super expensive in this side of the world) and I know I could look for rhubarb (imported!) but I didn't want to invest my time in getting something I wasn't sure I would like (and I am rather picky, yikes!). So, good ol' strawberries it is!

I halved the recipe and used a 7x5 inch dish. The strawberries fit perfectly but I didn't have enough biscuit to cover the fruit! So I resorted to making another half-recipe of biscuit which made me have more than ample dough. And what I did differently from the recipe - I omitted ground ginger and since I didn't have wheat flour, I used rolled oats! It worked just fine - in fact, I love the texture!

Loved watching this bake in the oven! The juice oozing out from the dish is a sight to behold. We had this warm from the oven. I don't think they would still taste as good at room temperature.

Thanks to Ryan of The Behr Necessities for choosing this recipe from Dorie Greenspan's Baking from My Home to Yours for BWD's July bake. For the list of BWD blogs, visit here.

8 comments:

  1. I made mine in a round pan, but I just love the looks of yours. Especially that lovely red juice dripping over the sides. What lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rivki! I enjoyed baking this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the all strawberry look. It is bright and clear and looks inviting. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Chaya...I wish I had ice-cream to go along with t!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your photos! Ditto about the red juice dripping down the sides. So beautiful!
    Thanks for baking along this week! We missed you ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photos! I like the rolled oats, which do give the topping a cobbled look.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yours looks delish, Tina! Ice cream would have really finished the 'look' I've finally managed to post mine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your photos are fantastic as usual! I really love the look of the all strawberry cobbler.

    ReplyDelete